The Controls Engineer’s primary duty is to design, commission, and debug PLC and industrial devices for custom assembly machines. Specific duties include automation of PLC-controlled machines using mostly Rockwell and some SIEMENS development platforms. Machine automation also requires the usage of other proprietary commissioning software tools (for servo motors, nut rundown systems, robots, etc.). Data collection and SQL data base knowledge is desirable but not required.
· Responsible for the design, commissioning, and debug of software control systems for special test and assembly machines.
· Use Rockwell-based PLC automation tools (such as Logix 5000 and FactoryTalk View) to commission machines.
· Use SIEMENS-based PLC automation tools (such as TIA Portal and WinCC Flexible) to commission machines.
· Use proprietary configuration tools from suppliers to automate special devices (such as servo motors, nut rundown systems, leak testers, etc).
· Have basic proficiency to interpret electrical, pneumatic, and hydraulic schematics.
· Learn new assembly processes (using pre-prepared documentation) and automate these processes to the customer’s satisfaction.
· Work closely with other engineers to solve machine design and debug problems (including non-software related issues).
· Program and troubleshoot robotic applications, mostly FANUC.
· Data collection and FIS software development.
· Travel is required with this position, approximately 30% however is project to project dependent.
· Vocational training or associate’s degree required.
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a relevant industrial engineering field preferred.
FIELD EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS
· Mastery of typical Office applications (Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, etc)
· 2+ years writing PC or PLC-based software applications.
· Will to learn new commissioning tools and techniques as necessary.
· Strong technical and hands-on debug skill.